About Me

My photo
4+ Years Clean & Sober, working on more. Musician, Audio/Visual Tech. Sing in Church Choir. Dedicated in my recovery. I almost died once, not on purpose, but I got over that and intend to live a while longer... like 30 or 40 yrs. or so.

Friday, November 23, 2007

Stick a Fork in it... It's Done !


Well, another holiday is past and it's carcase is rotting in the local landfill. It now becomes a race to gain the most, while spending the least. It's in homage of the Almighty Dollar (or Euro, Franc, Yen or giant stone rings) that we spend to acquire all the stuff we "Gotta Have" or "Gotta Give" ! A friend told me this past week that they were not exchanging gifts, this year because "all the little ones were grown up" and that they would just share the Family Time. But don't worry, friends, there's still time to gaze in wonder at the extravagant decorations the retailers present, the Giant, inflatable globe with Styrofoam nuggets circulating around a Christmas Tree with Santa, his Reindeer and Sleigh, a Snowman, and several little people in pointy green hats and curly toed shoes. There is still time to remember the reason for the season. Check your Local TV Listings and sit down with the family and watch "Miracle on 34th Street" and "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and hug your kids when you hear Linus tell Charlie Brown:

Linus Van Pelt: "And there were, in the same country, shepherds abiding in the fields, keeping watch over their flocks by night. And Lo, the Angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the lord shone round about them, and they were afraid. And the Angel said unto them, Fear not, for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you this day is born, in the City of Bethlehem, a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; you shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the Angel, a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on Earth peace, good will toward men'". That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

(And, not to forget those of the Hebrew faith, Jesus was a Jew)


Good Tidings of Great Joy !

2 comments:

Macabre64 said...

Good tidings indeed! I have to admit that Christmas is one of my least favorite holidays. I hate the hype and the pressure and I too feel that the entire meaning has been lost to the pursuit of "getting stuff".

I mean don't we devote enough time to that already?! Damned retailers, commercializing what's supposed to be the most reverant of days.

Now mind you, I'm not a total Scrooge. I love to give and I do love the beautiful decorations, I know they don't have anything to do with the meaning of Christmas. But this time of year DOES afford me the opportunity to re-tell my children the story of the Gift of the Magi and to sob as I watch, It's a Wonderful Life.

*HUGS* and hang in there, this part of the year always flies by and soon enough it'll be 2008 and this madness will be over for another year.

Random thoughts from the mind of Moni said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.