About Me

My photo
4+ Years Clean & Sober, working on more. Musician, Audio/Visual Tech. Sing in Church Choir. Dedicated in my recovery. I almost died once, not on purpose, but I got over that and intend to live a while longer... like 30 or 40 yrs. or so.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

F I N A L L Y - ! ! !



Well, it took me a year, but I finally did it ! I have been 100% Clean & Sober for ONE FULL YEAR ! I was greeted with much enthusiasm and envy by the group at the VA tonight. (Yeah, sure, but you brought cake, dumb shit) Yes, Phil, I brought Cake, but I wanted to celebrate. This little bronze disk that says "1" on it means a LOT to me. It means that I have been given the chance to move forward. It means that I have been sober long enough for other people to ask for my advice. I had people in class tonight asking "How" I did it, instead of "What" happened. I had people listen to me and a couple of guys talk to me after class to say things like "I understand, it was like that for me too. How did you...?" for the first time.

And, yet, part of me is feeling full of myself for accomplishing this. "Pride" is, after all, one of the Seven Deadly Sins. Can you learn that? Who remembers the Mac Davis Comedy Hit "Oh Lord, It's hard to be humble..." Well I'm certainly NOT perfect, but I guess I need to exercise my humility muscle. (WHAT Humility Muscle? You mean that fiber you have. You need to have something REAL to be humble about, first. Now, Practice !) O.K. - One, Two, Three...

2 comments:

Macabre64 said...

Dearest Doug,
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am extremely proud of you. This is a HUGE accomplishment!

Now I can't wait for your one year after the transplant celebration!!

*HUGS*

Donna

P.S. I think you have earned the right to a bit of pridefullness on this subject!

Random thoughts from the mind of Moni said...

Good job Douggie!!!! I'm proud too~!!