About Me

My photo
4+ Years Clean & Sober, working on more. Musician, Audio/Visual Tech. Sing in Church Choir. Dedicated in my recovery. I almost died once, not on purpose, but I got over that and intend to live a while longer... like 30 or 40 yrs. or so.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sometimes Life's a Bitch !

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this "Not Accepted" on the transplant list thing. I'm still a little confused on how I can qualify, yet be denied.

I understand (I guess) the position that the VA is in. There are only so many donors out there, and so many people who need one. My need is not as great as theirs. On the converse, what's the point in spending the money on someone in their later years (old) who will not have a longer life expectancy with or without the transplant. Yes, there's the selfish reasons, but there's also the logical reasons.

I know someone in my AA group who is a retired medical professional who used to be involved with liver transplant teams. She and I have discussed this, in detail, and she says that in the private sector, I would be the MORE qualified patient. So why is the VA backwards ? That seems to be the thing that baffles me the most. I have proven my ability to adhere to the treatment plan, quit all risk factor activities (i.e. drugs, alcohol and cigarettes), and shown the physical ability to survive an invasive procedure, like a transplant. Why, then, would I not be the candidate worthy of the investment.

They say that God only gives us as much as we can handle. To quote Tevye from "Fiddler on the Roof" . . . "God, I know that we are your 'Chosen People', but couldn't you choose someone else for a change?" The Faith... I have ! The Patience ? ? ?

No comments: